- Ph.D., Political Science, University of California, San Diego, 2009
- M.A., Political Science, University of Chicago, 2001
- B.S., History, Columbia University, 1996
American National Institutions; Political Development; Political Methodology; Local Government and Politics
- MacKenzie, S. A., Boudreau, C., & Elmendorf, C. (Forthcoming) Lost in space: Information shortcuts, spatial voting and local government representation, Political Research Quarterly.
- MacKenzie, S. A. (2015) Life before congress: Using pre-congressional experience to assess competing explanations for political professionalism, Journal of Politics 77(2): 505-518.
- MacKenzie, S. A., Boudreau, C., & Elmendorf, C. (2015) Informing electorates via election law: An experimental study of partisan endorsements and nonpartisan voter guides in local elections, Election Law Journal 14(1): 2-23.
- MacKenzie, S. A. (2014) From political pathways to senate folkways: Electoral reform, professionalization and representation in the U.S. Senate, Political Research Quarterly 67(4): 743-757.
- MacKenzie, S. A., & Boudreau, C. (2014) Informing the electorate? How party cues and policy information affect public opinion about initiatives, American Journal of Political Science 58(1): 48-62. 2014
- MacKenzie, S. A., Erie, S. P., & Kogan, V. (2011) Paradise Plundered: Fiscal Crisis and Governance Failures in San Diego, Stanford: Stanford University Press.